One year my favorite rockstar diaries posted about a Christmas challenge. I loved it so much, I want to challenge YOU to do the same. New York get dressed up right after Thanksgiving physically and in spirit. We are at our kindest during the month of December and I want to challenge you, in light of the holiday spirit, to go out of your way this month. The concept is to cross one thing off this list in the next 25 days until Christmas. Perhaps you skip a few then double up on a few days. Embrace the gift of this holiday and every blessing in your life. Pay it forward, here's how:
- give up your seat on the subway, just stand up, and offer it to someone. And smile.
- tell someone you love them-and not at the end of a call. Make a conversation out of it.
- pray all day for your least favorite person-ever.
- Mail someone a hand-written letter
- Nod or voice a greeting to someone during your commute
- Treat someone out to lunch or dinner (ahem campus students need to eat)
- do a good deed anonymously
- wash the dishes in the sink. Even if they are not yours.
- Bring a cup of coffee to the person in the cubicle next to you
- Give a little more for contribution by skipping a dinner out.
- Offer to babysit for free. Your married friends need a date night.
- Go be reconciled with someone. There's got to be someone.
- Make a "give list" for everyone you expect a present from
- reflect on Jesus. Journal, go on a prayer walk, and my personal favorite, take Jesus on a date, the whole day.
- throw a tacky Christmas sweater party and invite your friends. Practice the gift of hospitality
- start a new Christmas tradition
- text all your friends your favorite scripture. Practice the gift of encouragement
- be a gentle and quiet spirit all day. Ha. New Yorkers, "all day" includes rush hour on the 6th train.
- Call your parents first this week
- Tell your boss how much you appreciate them. And mean it.
- Bake Christmas treats for your co-workers
- fast from sun-up to sun-down for those less fortunate, for those hurting or hungry, for the city
- Sing a carol to your roommate (husbands/wives are roommate too)
- ask someone to tell you about a past Christmas
someone about a past Christmas
Merry Christmas to you and yours. May yours be merry and bright and filled with goodwill and cheer. May we remember Jesus, our Lord and Christ.